|Copyright:||This document has been placed in the public domain.|
The latest working documents may be accessed individually below, or from the docs directory of the Docutils distribution.
- Docutils Project Documentation Overview
- Docutils Stakeholders
- Project Fundamentals
- user/: Introductory & Tutorial Material for End-Users
- ref/: Reference Material for All Groups
- peps/: Python Enhancement Proposals
- api/: API Reference Material for Client-Developers
- howto/: Instructions for Developers
- dev/: Development Notes and Plans for Core-Developers
Docutils stakeholders can be categorized in several groups:
- End-users: users of reStructuredText and the Docutils tools. Although some are developers (e.g. Python developers utilizing reStructuredText for docstrings in their source), many are not.
- Client-developers: developers using Docutils as a library, programmers developing with Docutils.
- Component-developers: those who implement application-specific components, directives, and/or roles, separately from Docutils.
- Core-developers: developers of the Docutils codebase and participants in the Docutils project community.
- Re-implementers: developers of alternate implementations of Docutils.
There’s a lot of overlap between these groups. Most (perhaps all) core-developers, component-developers, client-developers, and re-implementers are also end-users. Core-developers are also client-developers, and may also be component-developers in other projects. Component-developers are also client-developers.
These files are for all Docutils stakeholders. They are kept at the top level of the Docutils project directory.
|README.txt:||Project overview: quick-start, requirements, installation, and usage.|
|COPYING.txt:||Conditions for Docutils redistribution, with links to licenses.|
|FAQ.txt:||Docutils Frequently Asked Questions. If you have a question or issue, there’s a good chance it’s already answered here.|
|BUGS.txt:||A list of known bugs, and how to report a bug.|
|Summary of the major changes in recent releases.|
|HISTORY.txt:||Detailed change history log.|
- Easy Slide Shows With reStructuredText & S5
- Docutils LaTeX Writer
- Docutils ODF/OpenOffice/odt Writer
- A ReStructuredText Primer (HTML) (or text source)
- Quick reStructuredText (user reference)
- reStructuredText Cheat Sheet (text only; 1 page for syntax, 1 page directive & role reference)
- reStructuredText Demonstration (a demonstration of most reStructuredText features; you can also have a look at the text source)
Many of these files began as developer specifications, but now that they’re mature and used by end-users and client-developers, they have become reference material. Successful specs evolve into refs.
- The Docutils Document Tree (incomplete)
- Docutils Transforms
- Docutils Generic DTD
- OASIS XML Exchange Table Model Declaration Module (CALS tables DTD module)
Although not in the “ref” directory, PEP 258 is a must-read reference for any Docutils developer.
- An Introduction to reStructuredText (includes the Goals and History of reStructuredText)
- reStructuredText Markup Specification
- reStructuredText Directives
- reStructuredText Interpreted Text Roles
- reStructuredText Standard Definition Files
- PEP 256: Docstring Processing System Framework is a high-level generic proposal. [PEP 256 in the master repository]
- PEP 257: Docstring Conventions addresses docstring style and touches on content. [PEP 257 in the master repository]
- PEP 258: Docutils Design Specification is an overview of the architecture of Docutils. It documents design issues and implementation details. [PEP 258 in the master repository]
- PEP 287: reStructuredText Docstring Format proposes a standard markup syntax. [PEP 287 in the master repository]
Please note that PEPs in the master repository may not be current, whereas the local versions are.
- The Docutils Publisher
- Inside A Docutils Command-Line Front-End Tool
- Docutils Runtime Settings
- (Docutils Transforms should be moved here)
PEP 258 is an overview of the architecture of Docutils.
- Docutils Hacker’s Guide
- Docutils Distributor’s Guide
- Docutils To Do List
- Docutils Project Policies
- Docutils Web Site
- Docutils Release Procedure
- The Docutils Subversion Repository
- Docutils Testing
- Docstring Semantics (incomplete)
- Python Source Reader (incomplete)
- Docutils Python DTD (experimental)
- Plan for Enthought API Documentation Tool
- Enthought API Documentation Tool RFP